Never a lender or a borrower be
For loan oft loseth both itself and friend
Wow...those words never did ring truer. Had a verbal showdown - over a heated exchange of emails!! Abuses swung freely and insults piled up! And what was the pea under the pile of mattresses that was causing all the discomfort ? - MONEY!
I've known this person for almost 8 years now. We've been through a whole gamut of situations and swung high and low on volatile emotional see-saws! Somehow through all that our "relationship" survived and while I read this brave feat of survival as friendship - my "friend" concluded it was a "situationally convenient arrangement". Having history as my point of reference - I concluded we'd survive even this difference of opinion like we had on several ocassions before and I might have been right if only the ugly green monster had not shown up!
Well to cut a long story short...this person, lets address him as Mr.D, needed an urgent monetary situation taken care of - which didn't allow him the luxury of relying on the postal department's efficiency! I happened to be in a position where I could transfer funds faster which I did while Mr. D writes me out a cheque! Well Mr. D's situation got taken care of and I got my money back! Everyone happy? End of story?
Nope - not yet! Almost 7 months later - today while we are on one of the upswing cycles of our lil' see-saw...and tempers are flying and words are being hurled out - To my great surprise - no let's make that shock - to my great shock... Mr. D comes up with lines that make reference to the "cheque" and echo sentiments that i had embarassed him by not showing enought faith in him. That I had somehow betrayed our "friendship" by not believing that he had posted the cheque until it finally reached me!
I am trying to recall the chain of incidents! Let me think - I do remember shelling out a good some of money - more than a couple of thousand dollars !! Hmm...Could I have been foolish enough to give off that money if I didn't believe I was going to get it back? Or had I suddenly lost faith after I parted with my money? heck I don't recollect asking for proof of payment!
What must I have done to be at the receiving end of a transaction that was long over? I could have indulged in a post mortem analysis. But should I invest any more time in dwelving further into the mind of a person who can hold on to petty issues and brew over things, to let them simmer and wait for an opportune moment to spring it on me ! Money is evil but it also turns out to be, in this case, the bitter-sweet panacea that clears the blur!
As always Mr. D and I will differ on our versions of the story but thanks to the underlying theme of this one, things will be different.A lop-sided and unhealthy relationship will finally be over.
The $ has put a .
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment