Having wrapped up on "essential" education and on the brink of a career, there was one thought among many others that used to find its way out of my subconscious... a dread - Would I like countless before me resign myself to a life of service!! Would this be the beginning of the end of my freedom? Would I now have to meekly submit to the calendar to dictate when I could stay in bed an extra couple of hours and when I had to wake up, dress up and be out the door? Would it become mandatory for me to value a Sunday and cling on it for dear life?
Being a commerce student in Mumbai I never really had to bother with the calendar or watches? Time was an ally..as free flowing a spirit as I was! Exams came once in a blue moon and having being blessed with a naturally sharp mind I could cram up the "essence" within a couple of weeks and spill it all out on paper and end up with more than satisfactory grades!! Parents happy, professors not complaining - everyone goes on with their life while I slide back into the cushion of freedom and time - my time!
Well - the lure of making money of course made me brush aside these "fears" and march bravely into the world of the working class. Once in here, to be honest, I actually quite enjoyed myself. Except for the grueling wake up routine - I am NOT a morning person - and to drag myself out of bed was the only low point of my day.. once within the confines of my office where the rest of the world and its reality were muted out I belonged to that place almost as much as its tastefully picked out furniture! Most days were good and seemed to have a good flow to them and having given up the habit of carrying a watch way back in my college days I would be surprised to learn that the work day was over and I had one more day's salary waiting for me !!
Being employed for almost 6 years and having ticked on almost all the points on my wishlist that money could buy I decided to give it all up and move to America as a wife on a dependent Visa. Well - after six years of working I felt this forced break would be a blessing in disguise! But nope - couldn't suffer through it for more than a month! I could not just sit at home, by myself - catching up on all the sleep I had sacrificed in the past - getting in touch with my "inner self" so to speak! I scrounged around for work - I worked for free - anything that made me feel like I belonged to the family of the working class!
Having finally got a work permit I am now allowed to earn a living in this country. It was a day of celebration. I had once again found a way to give up my freedom and my time to someone else - in exchange for monetary compensation, of course! I once again will belong to the family of the working class. I am ecstatic!! There is that irritating thought that still tries to be fill me with dread - that lil' voice that breaks in on my celebrations and asks me - Is this the beginning of the end of my freedom?? Hmmm..Just a couple of paychecks and this party pooper shall be shushed!!
Monday, November 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment